An inquest that was held this week in Chelmsford has been told how an 86 year old Grandfather, Kenneth Ibbetson, died from of suspected Legionnaires’ disease in 2015 whilst he was a resident at BUPA’s Hutton Village care home.
Mr Ibbetson was taken to hospital in June 2015 where the doctors diagnosed him with pneumonia. His condition then quickly deteriorated and he died three days later in hospital. It was from a post mortem that it was revealed that Mr Ibbetson had died from Legionnaires’ disease.
The inquest had heard that the home had been given several warnings that were ignored by staff at BUPA’s Hutton Village care home, Essex prior to the death of Mr Ibbetson.
From this HSE launched an investigation and the HSE inspectors found Legionella bacteria in Mr Ibbetson’s bathroom at the care home.
The jury was informed about the risks associated with Legionnaires’ disease were especially high where warm, stagnant water existed. Miss Susan Green, the care home manager hadn’t received suitable Legionella training and previous warnings identified in Legionella risk assessments were ignored. The inquest was told that the care home manager, Susan Green, only received training to control the risk of the disease after Mr Ibbetson’s death.
Since the death of Mr Ibbetson, Miss Green said that the care home had made a number of improvements.
The BUPA owned Hutton Village Care Home was last inspected by the Care Quality Commission in July 2015 when the care overall was described as ‘good’
The inquest is still on going.