Self-employed gas fitter, Michael Trent Algar, pleaded guilty at Manchester Magistrates’ Court after an investigation by Health and Safety Executive (HSE) discovered he had installed a new boiler without being Gas Safe registered. Because of this Mr Algar has been imprisoned.
It was found that Mr Algar was employed to install a new boiler in a domestic property. The homeowners ran a bath and smelt gas.
After contacting a Gas Engineer to carry out repairs it was found that the flue had not been replaced. This meant there was a gap for products of combustion to enter into the property. It was deemed immediately dangerous and was reported to Gas Safe Register.
In this particular case, the homeowners were very lucky. If they didn’t act quickly the consequences could have been fatal. It is important to take from this case that it is important for homeowners to check the Gas Safe registration number of any engineers who come to their property.
Michael Trent Algar of Milnrow Road, Shaw, Oldham, pleaded guilty to breaching three charges under the Gas Safety (installation and Use) Regulations 1998 and received a 14-month custodial sentence.